Commensurate with accomplishment and experience
Are you looking for a new challenge?
We are seeking a skilled and experienced Mechanical Engineer to join our Mechanical Engineering Department to lead the design and development of robot based systems for factory and process automation in a project team environment.
As the Project Mechanical Design Lead, you will act as the project’s mechanical design authority, providing technical oversight, leadership and direction to the mechanical design team members assigned to the project.
You will be working within the Project Team, alongside the Systems, Electrical and Software Team Leads to generate system and sub-system requirements, conceive and develop product designs that meet those requirements and manage the creation and development of all project technical documentation in accordance with Loop’s product development process.
You will also be assisting the Project Engineer with the management of non-technical aspects of the project including schedules, costs, contracts and customer interface.
Essential qualifications and experience
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering Design or equivalent training
- At least 8 years’ Electromechanical Design experience in the field of factory automation and motion control
- At least 3 years’ experience as a Mechanical Project Lead
- Completion of a recognised apprenticeship would be an advantage
- Requirements creation, decomposition and allocation
- Creative thinking and problem solving
- Able to create 3D CAD models and assemblies
- Able to create 2D orthographic engineering drawings IAW BS:8888
- Good written and oral communication
- Proficiency with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio)
- Material science, material properties, application and selection
- Precision machining, metal forming, rapid prototyping and welding (tools and methods)
- Heat and surface treatments
- Application, selection and use of adhesives, sealants and potting compounds
- Tribology and lubrication
- Motor and drive mechanism and selection (stepper, AC & DC servos, gear reducers and belt drives)
- Specification and selection of force and torque sensors, linear and rotary position feedback devices, safety interlock switches and devices
- Wiring harnesses and connectors for static and dynamic environments
- Pneumatic actuation and controls
- Bills of Material structure and creation
- Design/Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Root cause analysis methods
- Creation and maintenance of technical and safety risk registers
- Working knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T), metrology tools and inspection methods
- Experienced in the use of SolidWorks or other 3D modelling software
- Both interpersonal and leadership abilities and a proven capability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional project environment
- A positive outlook and a ‘can do’ attitude
- Proven time management skills and ability to identify and manage priorities
- Able to work to and meet project milestones and deadlines
- At least 2 years’ working with industrial robots and design of electromechanical and pneumatic end effectors
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) tools and techniques
- Statistical Process Control (SPC) methods and application in precision manufacturing environments
- Qualification and acceptance testing
- 2D and 3D optical and laser-based vision systems
- Manufacturing process development
- Tooling test equipment design
- Non-conformance management
- ISO 9001 policies and procedures
- New Product Introduction (NPI) methods and practice
- CE/CA Mark compliance and certification
- Proficiency in the use of SolidWorks
In return we can offer the opportunity to work with cutting edge technology, a competitive salary (commensurate with accomplishment and experience) and flexible working conditions. The office environment is friendly, open and relaxed and encourages a good team spirit. We can guarantee your work will be varied and interesting.
If you are interested in working at Loop and would like to apply for this position please email your cover note and CV to Carolyn Smart at email@example.com or call 01305 257108 for an informal chat.
WHATS IT LIKE WORKING AT LOOP?
“Every project is different, designs are innovative and boundaries are continually being pushed. I get to contribute to every stage of the design and build process so it’s very satisfying to see an idea turned into a fully working machine.”
Principal Mechanical Engineer