Commensurate with accomplishment and experience
Are you looking for a new challenge?
We are seeking a skilled and experienced Lead Mechanical Design Engineer to design and develop robot based, electromechanical systems for use in factory and process automation.
You will be working within Project Teams alongside Systems, Electrical and Software Team Leads to conceive and develop product designs that meet subsystem requirements both functional and non-functional.
You will also be assisting the Project Engineer with the management of all non-performance project requirements including schedules, costs and contracts and managing the development, design and generation of all design documentation in accordance with Loop’s product development process.
Your role will also include leading the Mechanical Engineering Project Team, providing design oversight, support and direction.
Essential qualifications and experience
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering Design or equivalent training
- Completion of a recognised apprenticeship would be an advantage
- At least 8 years’ Electromechanical Design experience in the field of factory automation and motion control
- At least 3 years’ experience as a Mechanical Project Lead
- Experience in precision machining, metal forming, rapid photo-typing, 3D printing and welding
- Creative thinking and problem solving
- Able to create 3D CAD models and assemblies
- Able to create 2D orthographic engineering drawings IAW BS:8888
- Good written and oral communication
- Proficiency with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio)
- Requirements creation, decomposition and allocation
- Material science, material properties, application and selection
- Heat and surface treatments, adhesives, sealants and potting compounds
- Tribology and lubrication
- Motor and drive mechanism and selection (stepper, AC & DC servos, gear reducers and belt drives)
- Specification and selection of force and torque sensors, linear and rotary position feedback devices, safety interlock switches
- Wiring harnesses and connectors
- Pneumatic actuation and controls
- Bills of Material Structure (BOMS) and their creation
- Design/Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (PFMEA)
- Failure Analysis
- Creation and maintenance of technical and safety risk registers
- Working knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Use of heat and surface treatments, adhesives, sealants and potting compounds
- Experienced in the use of Solidworks software
- Evaluate design options to support ongoing design work
- Interpersonal abilities and proven capability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional project environment
- A positive outlook and a ‘can do’ attitude
- Proven record of ability to manage time and work to deadlines.
- At least 2 years’ working with industrial robots and design of electromechanical and pneumatic end effectors
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) tools and techniques
- Qualification and acceptance testing
- 2D and 3D optical and laser based vision systems
- Manufacturing process development
- Tooling test equipment design
- Non-conformance management
- ISO 9001 policies and procedures
- New Product Introduction (NPI) methods and practice
- CE/CA Mark compliance and certification
- Proficiency in the use of SolidWorks
In return we can offer the opportunity to work with cutting edge technology, a competitive salary (commensurate with accomplishment and experience) and flexible working conditions. The office environment is friendly, open and relaxed and encourages a good team spirit. We can guarantee your work will be varied and interesting.
If you are interested in working at Loop and would like to apply for this position please email your cover note and CV to Carolyn Smart at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01305 257108 for an informal chat.
WHATS IT LIKE WORKING AT LOOP?
“Every project is different, designs are innovative and boundaries are continually being pushed. I get to contribute to every stage of the design and build process so it’s very satisfying to see an idea turned into a fully working machine.”
Principal Mechanical Engineer